Friday, February 22, 2013

2013 Academy Award Picks






So here's how this works: I'll give you a list of the nominees for each of the major categories, then I'll name who I think is the favorite to win, as well as who I would give the award to. Short and sweet.

And while you're at it, check out My Top 10 Movies of 2012!!!

Now onto the business at hand...

Best Picture

Amour
Argo
Beasts of the Southern Wild
Django Unchained
Les Miserables
Life of Pi
Lincoln
Silver Linings Playbook
Zero Dark Thirty

The Favorite to Win: Argo or Lincoln
My Pick: Les Miserables



Best Actor in a Leading Role

Bradley Cooper (Silver Linings Playbook)
Daniel Day Lewis (Lincoln)
Denzel Washington (Flight)
Hugh Jackman (Les Miserables)
Joaquin Phoenix (The Master)

The Favorite to Win: Daniel Day Lewis
My Pick: Daniel Day Lewis
(Joaquin Phoenix is a close second.)


Best Actress in a Leading Role

Emmanuelle Riva (Amour)
Jennifer Lawrence (Silver Linings Playbook)
Jessica Chastain (Zero Dark Thirty)
Naomi Watts (The Impossible)
Quvenzhane Wallis (Beasts of the Southern Wild)

The Favorite to Win: Jennifer Lawrence
My Pick: Naomi Watts
(Emmanuelle Riva (85) and Quvenzhane Wallis (9) are the oldest and youngest nominees ever.)


Best Actor in a Supporting Role

Alan Arkin (Argo)
Christoph Waltz (Django Unchained)
Philip Seymour Hoffman (The Master)
Robert De Niro (Silver Linings Playbook)
Tommy Lee Jones (Lincoln)

The Favorite to Win: Tommy Lee Jones
My Pick: Philip Seymour Hoffman
(It should be Leonardo DiCaprio (Django Unchained), but somehow he wasn't nominated.)


Best Actress in a Supporting Role

Amy Adams (The Master)
Anne Hathaway (Les Miserables)
Helen Hunt (The Sessions)
Jacki Weaver (Silver Linings Playbook)
Sally Field (Lincoln)

The Favorite to Win: Anne Hathaway
My Pick: Anne Hathaway
(This is by far the easiest pick to make; Hathaway was amazing in her Les Mis role.)


Best Director

Ang Lee (Life of Pi)
Benh Zeitlin (Beasts of the Southern Wild)
David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook)
Michael Haneke (Amour)
Steven Spielberg (Lincoln)

The Favorite to Win: Steven Spielberg
My Pick: Ang Lee
(Not sure if I'd pick him, but Ben Affleck (Argo) at least deserved a nomination.)


Best Animated Film

Brave
Frankenweenie
ParaNorman
The Pirates! Band of Misfits
Wreck-It Ralph

The Favorite to Win: Brave
(I can't honestly make a pick for this category, since the only nominee I've actually seen is Brave, but I didn't really like Brave, so I'm going to guess I'd pick Wreck-It Ralph.)


Best Writing - Original Screenplay

John Gatins (Flight)
Mark Boal (Zero Dark Thirty)
Michael Haneke (Amour)
Quentin Tarantino (Django Unchained)
Wes Anderson & Roman Coppola (Moonrise Kingdom)

The Favorite to Win: Quentin Tarantino
My Pick: Quentin Tarantino



Best Writing - Adapted Screenplay

Chris Terrio (Argo)
David Magee (Life of Pi)
David O. Russell (Silver Linings Playbook)
Lucy Alibar & Benh Zeitlin (Beasts of the Southern Wild)
Tony Kushner (Lincoln)

The Favorite to Win: Chris Terrio or Tony Kushner
My Pick: David Magee or Lucy Alibar & Benh Zeitlin
(Put your money on whichever film wins this category to take home Best Picture as well.)

Well, that's about it. There are, of course, many more Oscar categories, but I hardly feel qualified to commentate on the technical categories such as "Sound Mixing" and so on.

Enjoy the Academy Awards!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment