Saturday, November 2, 2013

Brutal & Beautiful

Review: 12 Years a Slave
Guest Reviewer: Kyle Kuzemchak

I wanted to give a short review to a movie that isn't getting the internet hype that Gravity and others received:

When the trailer for 12 Years a Slave premiered, I instantly predicted that it would win the Academy Award for Best Picture. Now that I've seen it, I agree with my past self, as this movie will be hard to beat. Three of the main actors will definitely get nominations, and all have a chance of winning.

In 12 Years a Slave, a free black man who was born, raised, and educated in the northern United States during the 1800s is captured and sold into slavery.

The acting was the best part, led by Chiwetel Ejofor (will get a Best Actor nomination), but also starring an amazing debut from Lupita Nyong'o (will get a Best Supporting Actress nomination), and appearances by acting powerhouses like Paul Giamatti, Michael Kenneth Williams, Benedict Cumberbatch, Paul Dano, Brad Pitt, and Michael Fassbender (who is a major contender for Best Supporting Actor).

That being said, this movie is hard to watch. There are many brutal depictions of the atrocities committed against slaves. However, I feel that these scenes were necessary and as tastefully done as you could make them. I am not a fan of director Steve McQueen's previous two movies (Hunger, Shame), but this one hit hard, too hard perhaps as the movie starts to wear on you and drag a little bit because you really just want to see these horrific images end.

While it is only my 3rd favorite of the year (behind Gravity and Before Midnight), 12 Years a Slave is an extremely important film that I believe everyone should see, and is still my favorite for Best Picture. Not everyone will enjoy it as much as I did, but the message and the history demand your attention.

The Final Word: 4/4 - Go buy a ticket, the poster, & the DVD.

No comments:

Post a Comment